Ladakh is situated in the trans-Himalayan region in the state of Jammu & Kashmir in North India.
In recent times Ladakh is one of the most popular summer holiday destinations. The most interesting spots on the way to Ladakh are high altitude mountain passes, monasteries, breathtaking high altitude lakes. As Ladakh is mostly barren land and has low atmospheric pressure and low oxygen levels, this could create health issues in tourists.
Acute mountain sickness could be a cause of worry.
- The most important point to keep in mind is physical fitness before you take up a trip to Ladakh.
- Increase your altitude gradually, with enough rest at intervals to balance the ascent.
- Low atmospheric pressure will need the tourists to rest for about 2 days after reaching Leh.
- In case you suffer from high blood pressure, heart ailments and asthma, kindly consider not to visit Ladakh.
- Regarding the amount of water intake, through hydration is necessary you may need one extra litre of water than your usual quantity. It could be harmful.
- Your head and ears must be covered with something warm during cold weather.
- Do not run around too much in excitement as you could get physically exhausted as the oxygen levels are low.
- Do carry some medicines that help ai acclimatization, the most popular being Diamox. The local alternative being garlic soup.
- Symptoms of headache, nausea, dizziness, or fatigue should not be overlooked. Take immediate rest and descend without much delay if you are at a high altitude. (as Khardung La Top ).
- Avoid drinking and smoking at high altitude to prevent AMS.
Your Travel Guide
- If you are taking Leh-Manali Highway, then make a stop at Keylong, Jispa and Darcha. Avoid staying at Sarchu.
- If you are travelling by the Leh-Srinagar Highway, stop at Kargil, spending a night each at Manali or Srinagar.
- In case you are taking a flight to Leh directly, do take rest for 2 days.
- Make short trips to Thiksey, Hemis, Shey, Nimoo and Stok where you can visit monasteries and palaces.
- Avoid sleeping during the day.