Things to do in Bhutan
Bhutan is an international destination for tourists, is located in southeast Asia. Bhutan is known as the land of the Thunder Dragon which was the last great kingdom of Himalayas. This exotic place is a traveller’s paradise as you can view the amazing snow-capped Himalayan Mountains the lush green forests and the unique architecture that it offers. The country is also known for its rich culture and heritage along with textiles and handicrafts. Bhutan is the only country in the world that has a great philosophy of Gross National Happiness, hence it is best for someone who wants to unwind from the buzz of daily routine thus discovering oneself in the large expanse of nature. It is a treat for adventure junkies to cover the high altitudes by trekking and admire the stunning flora and fauna.
Things to do in Thimphu
The airport at which you would arrive would be Paro which has a spectacular view. A 1.5-hour drive brings you to Thimphu which is the capital of Bhutan. Thimphu lies on a steep valley at an altitude of 2,350m (7,709)ft above sea level. The Places of interest are listed under:
- Institute of traditional medicines
- School of arts and crafts
- Folk heritage museum
- Simply Bhutan museums
- Centenary farmers market
- National Library
- Textile Museum
- Weaving centre
- National Memorial Chorten
- Takin sanctuary
- Wangditse Leisure Forest trail.
Things to do in Gangtey
- To get to the Dochula Pass you need to drive over the high mountain pass which is 3,050m
- Sights on the way to Phobjikha Valley include Simtokha Dzong, Bhutan’s first fortress-monastery.
- The Hongtsho Goemba monastery which hosts ancient wall paintings.
- The descent down through the tropical Punakha Valley takes you through the scenic villages of Wangdi, Dang Chhu.
- The Gangtey village is a place of untouched natural beauty, local traditions and culture and extreme peacefulness.
- Gangtey Goemba hosts ancient altars and rampants.
- Highly revered blessings of the Gangtey Trulku can be taken.
Explore Gangtey Valley
- Nature Trail: A pleasurable trail in the morning through flower meadows, pine forests and into the open valley.
- Black neck crane centre: You can spend time in the centre’s hide to watch the breeding of cranes which migrate in winters from Tibet.
- Hot Stone Bath: A not to be missed traditional bath wherein you soak in a wooden tub in a hut lit by candles, your body gets the benefit of the heated stones which have hidden minerals in them.
- Potato-Shed-Dinner: A romantic Bhutanese delicious dinner in the warm shed lit by numerous candles.
- This valley is situated at an altitude of1250m which is fertile and warm at the junction of the Mo Chhu (female river) and Pho Chhu(male river)
- Also view the rice cultivation and the numerous fruit orchards such as orange, mangoes and bananas.
- Chimi Lhakhang: The auspicious fertility monastery built in the year 1499, where numerous couples come and pray and receive blessings to become pregnant.
- Grounding Face Ritual: Punakha signature spa treatment, using local ingredients, a message that will leave you relaxed and de-stressed.
You need to cross the Dochula Pass in order to reach Paro Valley.
- Visit the ruins or the valley’s oldest and holiest religious monuments.
- Try traditional archery, an ancient sport using bows and arrows.
- Informative lectures on Gross National Happiness.
- Traditional performances, prayer, flag printing and movies on the Himalayas.
Adventure in Bhutan: Tiger Nest Hike, Paro
Built on a cliff face at a height of 2,950m, is a 4-hour trek offering spectacular views of this sacred monastery
- A hike up to the famous monument, Taktsang Goemba, known as the Tiger’s Nest.
- Kyichu Lhakhang, a Buddhist twin temples built in the 7th century. Enjoy the tradition of lighting 108 butter lamps there.
- National Museum:- that displays an intriguing collection of artefacts that illustrate the rich culture and heritage of the kingdom.
- Paro Dzong: A place where you can admire Bhutanese architecture.
- Body Polish and Wrap Ritual: Enjoy a hot stone bath and a relaxing massage.